Next Tuesday, July 11th, the President of Toledo City Council is scheduled to introduce an ordinance which would make it illegal for sidewalk counselors to minister to those going into the abortion mill on Sylvania Avenue or to offer alternatives to those going into Planned Parenthood. It restricts prayer vigils and the semi-annual Forty Days for Life vigils to days and hours when these facilities are not open.
These limited hours, called “safe zones”, are a direct assault on your freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. It is an assault on religious liberty. This cannot stand!
Now is the time to make your voice heard and to make a difference for life where you live. Even if you don’t reside within the city limits of Toledo, it is just as important that you contact members of city council and especially the President of Council, Steven Steel. We need to impress on council our opposition and do so in mass! Use the talking points below to convey your message.
Tell Toledo City Council that the ordinance referred to as “Impeding Access to Health Care” is unnecessary as current law safe guards ones’ access under existing statute in sections 351.07(24) and 509.03 of Toledo Municipal Code.
That this ordinance is a direct assault on my freedom of speech and freedom of assembly.
There is no history or documented evidence of any individual ever having their access blocked, obstructed or prevented from entering the abortion facility located at 1160 West Sylvania Ave.
It is not good public policy to enact laws designed to promote the interest of two businesses that result in abridging the civil rights of your fellow citizens.
I strongly urge you to vote no on this ordinance.
Here are four things you can do to make your voice heard:
- Email all the members of City Council (see emails below) using the talking points listed above.
- Phone: 419-245-1050 and leave a message for President of Council – Steven Steel
- Encourage others to contact members of Toledo City Council
Pray that that this ordinance is defeated
- President of Council – Steven Steel – Steven.Steel@toledo.oh.gov
COUNCIL MEMBERS BY DISTRICT
- District 1: Tyrone Riley – Tyrone.Riley@toledo.oh.gov
- District 2: Matt Cherry – Matt.Cherry@toledo.oh.gov
- District 3: Peter Ujvagi – Peter.Ujvagi@toledo.oh.gov
- District 4: Yvonne Harper – Yvonne.Harper@toledo.oh.gov
- District 5: Tom Waniewski – Tom.Waniewski@toledo.oh.gov
- District 6: Lindsay Webb – Lindsay.Webb@toledo.oh.gov
AT-LARGE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Cecelia Adams – Cecelia.Adams@toledo.oh.gov
- Rob Ludeman – Rob.Ludeman@toledo.oh.gov
- Sandy Spang – Sandy.Spang@Toledo.oh.gov
- Steven Steel – Steven.Steel@toledo.oh.gov
- Larry Sykes – Larry.Sykes@toledo.oh.gov
- Kurt Young – Kurt.Young@Toledo.oh.gov